Sunday, March 4, 2012

One month

It has been about one month since I decided not to buy any clothes for a year.  So, how was the first month?  I actually didn't think about it that much.  It would stand to reason that going to New York Fashion Week would cause me to think about it more, but it didn't.  Being around all of the creativity actually made me think more creatively about my own wardrobe. 

There have been a few very small twinges of regret.  They usually come when I am putting on my favorite pair of jeans (which I wear every week) and knowing that at some point during this year they will wear out.  Then, I quickly think, "Good.  That will force me to wear the rest of my clothes."  And for some reason I still dream about a pair of black snakeskin ballet flats. 

I am hoping that this year will help me to enjoy and use clothes properly without living for or clinging to them.  I was reading Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery to my daughter this week.  We read about a girl who was dying and afraid of going to heaven.  "'Heaven must be very beautiful, of course, the Bible says so - but Anne, it won't be what I've been used to.'...  It was sad and tragic - and true!  Heaven could not be what Ruby had been used to.  There had been nothing in her gay, frivolous life, her shallow ideals and aspirations, to fit her for that great change or make the life to come seem to her anything but alien and unreal and undesirable." 

I think a lot of us are blessed with a prosperity that can blind us to the spiritual side of life.  I have so many needs met that I don't really have to look outside of myself to feel ok.  I want the things I can't see to be more important than the things I can.  Hopefully, this year will bring everything into proper focus.

No comments: