Friday, March 23, 2012

Conversations with inanimate objects

My dad was so excited when I became an accountant.  He would ask, "Don't you hear the numbers talking to you?"  "No," I would answer while rolling my eyes.  That sounded a little crazy to me.  Well, when I started sewing, I found out that fabric talks to me.  I would buy fabric to make a purse (I was making a lot of purses), and the fabric would say, "I don't want to be a purse.  I want to be a skirt."  Or, "I don't want to be purse lining.  I want to be a blouse."  That's when I knew I was right where I should be.

My older daughter picked out this fabric -




...and wanted me to make this dress -




I want the fabric to want to be this dress, because this dress is very easy to make.  But the fabric doesn't want to be this dress.  It wants to be this -




It's an adorable dress that wraps in the back.  (You can buy it from Amoretti for $136!)  It would be much more difficult to make, but you can't fight the fabric.  However, my daughter latched onto a skirt from the same website that looks like this -




The fabric likes that design, too.  So, we'll see if I can figure it out.  Now, my younger daughter thinks I am crazy.  "Please, mommy, stop saying that fabric talks to you."  I can't wait to see what talks to her.


1 comment:

la artista said...

This is my "fav" of all your posts!