Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thinking of Coco Chanel

The other day, I put this on and was immediately reminded of Coco Chanel in her striped shirt and flats -


 



I admire Coco Chanel's work ethic and guts.  She wasn't afraid to try new things and to be totally different from every one else.  She was unique and let it show.   While I disagree with many of the choices she made, I respect the strength with which she worked. 

I find it incredibly interesting that she thought she fell into her line of work by chance when it appears to have obviously flowed out of her very nature and hard work -

"I have been a couturiere, by chance.  I have made perfumes, by chance.  I am now going to tackle something else.  What?  I don't know.  Here again, chance will decide.  But I am quite ready.  I am not saying goodbye for long.  I am not thinking of anything, but when the moment comes, I feel I will pounce on something that will be within my reach."  - Chanel (as quoted in Coco Chanel by Justine Picardie)

How many times do we believe "chance" is forming our path (whether good or bad), when we are contributing so much to our own destiny?




No comments: